This is the play dough that everyone is used to playing with. It is most like the Playdoh you buy at the store.
1 cup water
1 cup Flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tbs oil (vegetable, canola, or baby oil)
1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl
2. Add water and oil and food coloring or variation (koolaid, extract, etc)
3. Cook over medium heat or in an electric skillet until it congeals.
4. Remove from heat and put on wax paper.
5. It will be hot! Knead when it is cool.
6. After it is cooled keep it in an airtight container. This dough keeps well and does not crumble.
Variations: There are so many amazing variations these are just a few add as you see fit
1. Add kool-aid instead of food coloring for scent and color- you can make strawberry dough this way, or lemon, orange, really each kool-aid will give you a different scent and color!(Add the koolaid during step 1 to the dry ingredients and follow directions above, if you are making the playdough with kids let them guess what will happen when you add the water, its always exciting when it suddenly turns a bright color when water is added)
2. Add an extract with food coloring like vanilla,maple etc.(add at step two)
3. Starry Night Dough- add dark food coloring and glitter (add dark food coloring during step two and knead the glitter in after the playdough has cooled)
4.Natural Color Dough- Use beet, spinach, and carrot juice to color the dough. Choose just one veggie juice or divide into balls and add a few drops of the vegetable juices to make green (spinach), pink(beet), and orange(carrot).
5. Soap Dough- Add 1 tbs liquid hand soap for scent to the dough (Knead soap in after recipe is complete)
6. Gingerbread Dough- Add 2 tablespoons Cinnamon 2 tablespoons Allspice 2 tablespoons Nutmeg and 2 tablespoons Ginger add an additional 1 teaspoon oil to help with texture (add dry ingredients during step one and the extra oil during step two)
7. Chocolate Dough- Add a 1/4 cup cocoa powder (add at step one with dry ingredients)
8. Glow in the Dark- Add Glow in the dark paint instead of food coloring (add during step two)
9. Make Neon Colored Dough use Neon Acrylic paint at step 2 to add a fun neon color to your dough
10. Add a cake, bread or muffin mix for color and fantastic scent-
Any cake, bread, or Muffin Mix (1 package)
1 1/2 cups salt
6 tsp cream of tartar
2 cups flour
3 cups water
6 TBS oil
Follow DIRECTIONS above
If you are making for a class full of students I used to make this recipe times 5 or6 for my class. If I am making for my kids I usually do this recipe times 2 or 3
These pictures are in reverse so above is the finished dough
Here the playdough is almost done (more solid) you can see where it is cooked and where it is still runny
Just put in the pan it is a liquid at this point
Before cooking it is a liquid kind of like pancake batter
adding water and oil
mixing in the koolaid
Adding kool-aid to the dry ingredients
For a List of ALL my Playdough recipes visit HERE