One of my Favorite blogs TinkerLab has created another fun Challenge. We participated in the last challenge which was to make something with egg cartons so we made a Jellyfish Forest out of an egg carton. This time the TinkerLab Challenge is to do something with flowers!
We love flowers. We love picking flowers and investigating what they are.
We love wearing flowers!
We even go to the Carlsbad Flower Fields every year. Just to see all the beautiful flowers.
But I think by far our favorite thing to do with flowers is to make playdough. And one of our favorite flowers to do this with is Lavender.
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 cups water
red and blue food coloring (or purple)
lavender essential oil
dried lavender buds (optional)
1. Put flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a bowl and mix.
2. Mix water and food coloring/ liquid watercolors in another bowl
3. Mix dry and wet ingredients together.
4. Put mixture in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir constantly.
5. Remove from pan When it starts to thicken, and becomes a soft dough
6. Put the ball of dough on a lightly floured counter top surface. Let cool for a minute. Make a well in the middle of the ball and place 15-20 drops essential oil in the middle and add about 1/4 cup (or more) lavender buds (optional). Fold ball over itself, dust top with flour and knead. Let ball cool and store in a plastic container or zip top bag.
For a list of all my Playdough recipes check HERE
Variation: Use different flowers i.e. Roses, carnations, etc. change the color and scent to match.
Get your ingredients ready
We picked our own lavender and dried it ourselves by hanging it upside down
We mixed our dry ingredients
And then mixed our wet ingredients and then added them to the dry to stir
While the playdough was cooking we pulled the buds from the lavender sprigs we picked
Once the playdough was cooked we dropped in small Lavender essential oil
And then our lavender buds
We the pinched and pulled, and rolled and squished
Until all the buds and oil were evenly distributed among the playdough
We reserved some extra sprigs of Lavender to help us decorate and play with our lavender
Mikey decided to make a lavender forest
and then he decided the forest needed a river so we got out some glass beads
and he made a river
He also practiced making balls and stacking his playdough
And then he realized that by pushing in the whole sprig it made imprints!
Do you have a flower project you would like to share? Link up below